Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Walk To School

Doug and the driver, Mr Yao Jun were out of town today visiting the plant that is being built outside the city. Since we had no driver we had to walk to Pia's school to pick her up at noon. These are pictures that I took along the walk. You see people with their little wagons behind their bikes with cardboard, bottles whatever they can pick up along the way. I am not sure were they go with this and what they get for it.
This was a vegetable, meat and fish market. We were the only non Chinese in here so I was afraid to pull out my camera and take close up shots of the various cuts of meats and fish. They eat every part of the animal and I mean every part. Pig ears, pigs feet, chicken feet, beef tendons, etc to name just a few. The fish is crazy. They have tanks full of eel and a number of different snake fish. Also huge bullfrogs and turtles. Even the shrimp are scary looking. I have never seen any of these fish in Ross Allen.
Window repair shop.
There are fruit markets all around the city. We have been brave enough to even buy the bananas, apples and oranges. No one has gotten sick yet. This was a fruit and flower market.
Anybody want to buy a broom????


1 comment:

AC said...

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like most people in Shanghai live pretty simple lives.
If you could mail me one of those brooms, I will use it to fly around the neigborhood to the MJ games.
We went to Carlsbad Caverns yesterday an it was fantastic.
AC